Ari Jacob

22 Nov

Ari is fast asleep in his pack and play and eli is working at the jazz club.  I figure this is a good time to share Ari’s birth story with you. I apologize for the delay in writing this. Although, I’ve been thinking about the story and writing it in my head over and over. My hope is that I do the story justice as I am not the best writer.

 As I wrote in previous posts, I’d been dealing with pre-term and early labor contractions. Heading into Ari’s birth week, I was 3 cm dilated and 90% effaced. I had contractions that Monday, Nov 2nd but like all the other times the contractions subsided and Tuesday came and went with nothing. I figured, like a watch pot never boils, a watch uterus never contracts.  About mid week that week, Eli and I decided that he would go onto Dallas for his pilot recurrent training. Eli left for Dallas that Wednesday morning. Thursday evening, we decided that he would come home after class on Friday instead of staying until Sunday to do his flight simulator test. We both felt uneasy with him being gone. 

 Since the first trip to the hospital, I had stopped communting into SF for work. Looking back on this now, I am so thankful I did that. Although at the time, I felt horribly guilty for not going into the offie.  On Friday, the 6th around noon, I started having the worst sciadica pain in both of my legs. It was so bad, I could barely concentrate on work. I moved from the kitchen into my bedroom so that I could lay in bed and to put some heat on it to see if it would help. The pain was unbearable, it put me in to tears and I had no idea I was having contractions at the same time. I finally called my MIL to come over and help me. We also called my Doula, J to come over as well. By this time, I started to feel the contractions and was timing them. Still nervous this would be a repeat of the last two times, I didn’t believe that this was real. J suggested that I get into my bathtub, where I might be more comfortable. This time it was about 215-230pm. 

Around 3pm, we decided that we needed to get me to the hospital. J and I had talk about how bad my sciadica was hurting and even though my goal was to have this baby without interventions, this was a good case for an epidural. I reluctantly agreed with her.

The car ride to the hospital was the worst car ride ever! At this point, I am in full labor. It is raining and we hit Friday early rush hour traffic. What would normally be a 15-20 min ride to the hospital was 45 minutes. I will never look at my MIL’s back seat the same again. I was literally hanging over the back seat in her station wagon, trying to breathe and feeling ever single pot hole on the 80 west freeway! We finally get to the hospital, I skip triage and they put my in an L&D room. I am now 5cm dialted and 100% effaced. We call Eli, who is at DFW to let him know what is happening. He is about to board the plane back to SFO. Meanwhile, I luck out in getting a room with a bathtub. After monitoring me and the baby for 20 minutes, my MIL and J get me back in the bathtub. I labor there for most of the time as I could not bear to be on my feet, which sucked because I knew if I could get up and walk, sway, move, I could get the baby off of whatever nerve it was on to help stop the sciadica. So instead, I had my MIL beat on my legs and back to help me cope while I held J’s hand during my contractions. While in the tub, everything starts to blur together. My friend U arrives, midwife comes in and checks me, I hear that I am almost 9cm dialated.  They get me out of the tub as I was feeling like I needed to push.  I am on the bed, I hear that I am 10cm dialated and it is time to push. My MIL, J, U hold my legs and help me to push. I swear pushing was a lot harder then I thought it would be. I couldn’t get the hang of it. I kept my eyes closed the entire time and I remembering hearing my midwife saying to me that my bag of waters never broke. I was pushing out the bag first and inside you could see the baby’s head. Once the bag, was out, my midwife broke it and I pushed Ari’s head out. Once his head and shoulders were out, my midwife had me put my hands out to grab my baby. It was so surreal. I pulled him out and onto my chest. I remember looking to see if there was a penis or vagina. Almost immediately all three woman yelled, it’s a boy right as my eyes saw it for myself.
Ari and I laid there for an hour waiting for Eli to land. At 750pm, I called Eli.He answered as the plane was taxing on the runway, I shared with him that we had a beautiful, healthy, baby boy. It was the most emotional conversation, I had ever had with my husband. I will never forget it.

I have to give props to the hospital. They allowed us to stay in the L&D room until Eli arrived, which was 9pm. Even after he arrived, we still were in the L&D room as I had wanted E to give Ari his first bath.  Once E was there, we popped the bottle of champagne, ate, celebrated the birth of our healthy little boy.

It’s been 2 weeks since Ari’s birth and things are going well. He had his well baby check up on Friday, the 20th and Ari is past is his birth weight and is up to 6lbs and 10oz.  Sleep comes and goes but overall Eli and I could not be happier. We still stare in amazement that we created this little being.

2 weeks old

One day old


6 Responses to “Ari Jacob”

  1. Lindstifa November 23, 2009 at 1:07 am #

    Totally crying again. I just love this story so so much. xoxoxo

  2. Trish J November 23, 2009 at 1:49 am #

    That is AMAZING! Seriously – like a scene from an awesome movie!

    So glad your family is happy and healthy – if a little tired. He is adorable. Thank you so much for telling that wonderful story!

  3. Angela November 23, 2009 at 7:06 pm #

    Congratulations! So amazing 🙂

  4. Laurenjean December 8, 2009 at 1:41 pm #

    OOOHHHHHHHH – congrats Mama!!!!!
    he is a cutie little man!!! Thank you so much for sharing your story of how Ari came into the world 🙂

  5. Kassie January 10, 2010 at 1:20 am #

    I’m super late on reading this! What an amazing story. I’m so happy for you guys, and I hope things are still well with you all! Happy new year!

  6. Platinum Rose March 4, 2010 at 6:27 pm #

    Post again sometime 🙂 Miss you!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: